Subdivision Canberra


Want Free Preliminary Advice and Quote?

Land Subdivision Canberra & Dual Occupancies

Surveyors Canberra is a team of experienced and qualified surveyors providing professional consultancy services to Canberra residents. Our team of experts can help with land subdivision and dual occupancy surveys and applications.

We provide comprehensive advice on all aspects of the process including planning approvals, survey plans, construction certificates, and other necessary documents. Our team can guide you through the process and ensure that all requirements are met to help your application succeed.

We are dedicated to delivering quality services and support, so you are sure to receive the best advice to ensure your project is compliant and successful.

Request A Quote

Can I Subdivide My Property in Canberra?

You can subdivide residential blocks in Canberra suburbs. However, we would need to check your zoning and your block size. Surveyors Canberra can help you with this process. We provide professional land surveying services in the Canberra region. We can help you with all the necessary steps involved in the subdivision process, including preparing a survey plan, lodging an application with the relevant authorities, and more. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like to learn more.
Surveyor Canberra

Contact us for Subdivision Advice and Estimates

If you are interested in learning more about subdivisions or would like to get an estimate for a subdivision project, please contact us. Our team of surveyors, engineers, and planners can provide you with advice and help you plan out your project.

You can reach us by phone at (02) 5114 2569 or fill in a web form.

Surveyor Canberra

Understanding Canberra Zoning

What does RZ1 mean in Canberra?
RZ1 is a zoning classification used in Canberra, Australia. Most of Canberra’s housing is in this zone. It stands for Residential Zone 1 and indicates an area with low residential density. This type of zone allows for a range of uses such as detached houses, dual occupancies, group dwellings, home occupations and other commercial activities. In addition to allowing for residential development, RZ1 also permits secondary dwellings and short term accommodation such as bed-and-breakfasts. The purpose of this zoning is to promote the efficient use of land within the city by providing higher density housing in strategic locations that are close to transport hubs and amenities. RZ1 is an important part of urban planning in Canberra as it helps to create vibrant neighbourhoods while accommodating the growing population needs of the city.
What is RZ2 zone in Canberra?
RZ2 zone Canberra is a residential zoning type that covers large areas of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). It allows for single dwellings, group dwellings, dual occupancy, and multiple dwellings on separate allotments. The RZ2 zoning provides flexibility in terms of development in the ACT by allowing for a variety of housing types such as townhouses, terrace houses and apartments. The zoning also permits some commercial and industrial activities to be conducted within the area, as long as they are compatible with the surrounding environment. In addition to this, RZ2 zoning also provides for public reserves, parks and open spaces which can provide recreational opportunities for local residents. This zone is an important part of Canberra’s urban planning strategy and helps to ensure that new developments are well integrated with existing infrastructure and services.
What is RZ3 zone in Canberra?
Zone 3, Canberra is one of the geographical zones in the city of Canberra. It is located in the south-east of the city and includes the suburbs of Banks, Jerrabomberra, Narrabundah, Fyshwick, Symonston, and Hume. The zone is bounded by the Molonglo River to the west, the Tuggeranong Valley to the south, the Murrumbidgee River to the east, and the City of Queanbeyan to the north. It is one of the most populated zones in the city and contains some of the most important commercial centres, including the Canberra International Airport and the Canberra Entertainment Centre.
What is RZ4 zone in Canberra?
The Residential Zone 4 in Canberra is a zone that is designated for medium density residential housing. It allows for a mix of detached dwellings, townhouses and flats with a maximum density of 40 dwellings per hectare. This zone allows for a range of residential densities and provides for a variety of housing types. This zone is intended to provide for medium density residential development to accommodate a range of housing needs. It also allows for a range of compatible land uses including neighbourhood shops, places of worship and community facilities.
What is RZ5 zone in Canberra?
The Residential Zone 5 is an area in Canberra, Australia that is primarily used for residential purposes. It is a high-density residential area, with the majority of the dwellings being single-dwelling units. Residential Zone 5 is located in the inner-north of Canberra, adjacent to the CBD and is surrounded by many amenities such as shops, parks, schools and public transport. The area is also known for its vibrant culture and nightlife.


Can I build a duplex in Canberra?
Yes, you can build a duplex in Canberra. The nation’s capital is an ideal place for real estate investment, with its high-demand rental market and ever-growing population. Duplexes are a popular choice due to their potential for increasing rental yields, as well as the fact that they can be more affordable than buying separate homes on two lots. When constructing a duplex in Canberra, it is important to be aware of all applicable zoning restrictions and regulations, as well as the requirements of your local council. It is also important to ensure that you get the necessary approvals from the relevant authorities prior to commencing construction. With careful planning and research, building a duplex in Canberra can be an excellent investment opportunity!
What size block for a dual occupancy in Canberra?
When it comes to building a dual occupancy in Canberra, the size of the block is an important consideration. Generally, for a dual occupancy development in Canberra, a minimum block size of 600 square metres is required. However, depending on the zoning regulations and requirements of your local council, this may vary. It is best to consult with your local council before committing to a particular block size. In addition, if you wish to build two completely separate dwellings then larger blocks are typically recommended. Ideally, you should aim for blocks that are 800 square metres or more so that each dwelling has adequate space and privacy.
Can I Subdivide into 2 single dwelling blocks for Dual Occupancy?
Subdividing a block into two single dwellings is an option for those who want to build a dual occupancy. This involves making a variation to the existing lease, as well as changing the service connections and floor area. The two dwellings are then sold separately, so that each residence can be used as either a house or unit. In this case, one dwelling typically has 80 square meters of floor area, while the other usually has around 70 square meters. Both dwellings must be approved by the local planning authority before they can be sold separately or together. This process also involves obtaining all necessary permits and ensuring that all building regulations are met. Once all these steps have been completed, the block can finally be subdivided into two single dwellings that can be sold separately or together according to the owner’s wishes.

Contact Us Now

For FREE, No Obligation Preliminary Advice And Quote:
Surveyor Canberra